Key to Keys 2014

Key to Keys 2014

Monday, February 17, 2014

Key to Keys 2014- Getting Started

I haven't blogged in months. I've had several posts ruminating in my brain that never came to fruition, but this post (and this new page) are so worth it to me.

In 2013 I (Kiersten) completed the Key to Keys ride. The ride, supporting the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults, set out from the Key Bridge in Baltimore with a destination of Key West, Florida. Along the way, our group raised enough funds to support a cancer navigator position at Walter Reed Military Medical Center. What is a navigator? Someone who helps a cancer patient navigate their journey through diagnosis, treatment, and recovery. What is the Ulman Cancer Fund? Read more about it here.

Enrolling in a doctoral program and taking on new responsibilities at work, I put the idea of Key to keys 2014 out of my mind. When telling my husband Tommy about the 2014 ride, he said "Of course you are doing it". Without hesitation, I signed up. He knew what this ride meant to me, even before I did.

So how to make 2014 more epic than 2013? Bring along an incredible firefighter friend who loves cycling. After posting about the ride, Kathy contacted me for details. Within days, she was signing up and helping to plan the 2nd Annual Key to Keys Fundraiser at the Olney Winery (stay tuned for a post with lots of details).

Cancer impacts all of us in some way or another. Kathy and I are taking this opportunity to give back and support young adults (teens to age 40) in the fight against cancer.

In the words of UCF, "Cancer changes lives...SO DO WE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment